Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let me introduce myself. My name is Andres.


I like watching films. I don't watch them for escape, I just like being moved by them. I also like to learn new things through movies. I like relating with characters so much that it feels like I am watching myself or someone I love on-screen. I cry when those characters die. I like documentaries, foreign, and independent films.

So, yeah, I like movies. I’ll be watching a lot of them at Florida Atlantic University’s new Living Room Theaters. I’ll be drinking microbrews, munching on Paninis and catching art house films.

The Living Room Theaters are a private/public partnership between FAU and Living Room Theaters Inc. The complex has four screens, each with 50 seats. It also has a European-style café serving food, wine and beer. I like everything about the Living Room. It seems small and cool enough to succeed.

The movies are shown through digitizing technology that eliminates the need for traditional celluloid film, which is costly to produce and to distribute. Through this digital technology, the theater will be able to run the newest foreign and independent films.

The Living Room is open seven days a week, with show times beginning at 4pm. FAU’s film studies program will have access to the screens each day before 4pm. Prices are $9.50 for regular adults and $6.50 for students. I’ll be taking advantage of the $5 special on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I caught my first film Thursday night. The seats were comfortable, the screen was large and the sound was great. I’ll be reviewing the movie White Material in my next post.


*Note – I am not a filmmaker or film student. I am a Journalism major. In reviewing movies, I hope to be the missing link between Roger Ebert from the Chicago Sun Times and Omar the Gangsta Entertainment Reporter from Slam Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment